Saturday, January 17, 2009

What Do We Want?

Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life. - Burton Hills

Sometimes what we want is the exact opposite of what we think we want. Sometimes we know what we want and do not have the strength to go in that direction.

A wise friend always tells me to "search for the deepest desires of your heart."

These things are not always on the surface. Sometimes we have to fight, to strive in our spiritual life to dig deeper before we hit these flowing waters.

Lately I have been longing for silence. Every time I hear noise - loud talking, music, pounding - all I want is silence. But actually obtaining that silence requires discipline. Saying "No" to friends I love and spending time alone is not easy. Even though I am longing for time alone, I accept invitations to go out at every turn.

This weekend, I am going to Pacific Grove, CA by myself. I may not have the strength to enter in the silence but booking a small hotel room gave me no choice.

As I grow closer to God I am beginning to slowly learn that moving towards that small voice, what He desires for us, the deepest desires of our hearts, may be difficult, but it is always, always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment